This kimchi baechu-based Korean soup is packed with flavor, easy to make and protein-rich, which makes it the perfect meal for those long winter nights.
Kimchiguk | Kimchi Soup
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) kimchi baechu, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) kimchi juice
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- .66 lb (300 grams) pork belly, cut into pieces
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) gojuchang*
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cane sugar
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 lb (400 grams) extra-firm tofu, cubed
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- In a large pan, combine the kimchi, kimchi juice, onion, gojuchang, meat and sugar.
- Add the water, bring to a boil and cook over high heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the tofu and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Stir in the scallions, reserving a small handful for garnish. Serve with rice.
Tips & Tricks:
- Gojuchang (sometimes written as gochujang) is a fermented Korean red pepper paste, available at most Asian markets