Almost everyone loves garlic, but frying or roasting it ruins the healthy enzymes and nutrients raw garlic offers. Fermentation is the perfect solution, because it softens the bite of raw garlic while preserving its tremendous nutritional value.
- 16 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 4 cups (1L) brine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbs (15ml) herbes de provence
- Place the garlic cloves in your Mortier Pilon fermentation jar.
- Add the brine, bay leaves and herbes de Provence, making sure to leave 3/4 of an inch (2cm) of headspace between the mixture and the rim of the jar.
- Let the mixture ferment at room temperature, covered, for 1 month. Once the desired level of fermentation has been reached, refrigerate or serve.