Spicy, fruity and a touch exotic all at once, this chutney might surprise you! Very colorful and highly adaptable to your own tastes – feel free to personalize it by swapping the peaches for pears or plums!
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 ripe peaches, diced
- 2 red apples, diced
- 1/4 cup (65ml) walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pomegranate seeds
- 4 tsp (20ml) salt
- juice from two fresh lemons
- 2 tsp (10ml) grated ginger root
- water, for covering the mixture
- Chop the peppers, making sure to remove the seeds. In a bowl, combine the salt, ginger and peppers.
- Place the peaches and apples in your Mortier Pilon fermentation jar. Add the walnuts, pomegranate seeds, spice mixture and lemon juice. Mix and add water to cover, making sure to leave at least 3/4 of an inch (2cm) of headspace between the mixture and the rim of the jar.
- Let the mixture ferment at room temperature, covered, for 3 days. Once the desired level of fermentation has been reached, refrigerate or serve.